Boxers Or Briefs?
The sheer size of the clothing catalogue never ceases to amaze us. From countless iterations of various clothing elements, we can glean that there is close to no end regarding clothing innovation. And that brings us to boxers and briefs; similar in their intent yet clearly distinct.
What are Boxers?
Boxer shorts, or commonly referred to as boxers, are loose-fitting men’s underwear, which are held in place by elastic. The name ‘boxer’ originates from their resemblance to the shorts used by professional boxers. The catch is that boxers allow for immense comfort and provide freedom. With the elastic in place and loose-fitting, they help with mobility. Throughout the years, boxers have been sold in a wide range of colours and patterns, and are even worn in some vogue trends (albeit sparingly).
What are Briefs?
Arriving a decade later after boxers, the idea behind briefs is providing support, but it can get tedious from there with relatively less room. Even the slightest shifts in sizing after washing can become an issue or leave you exposed. Suffice to say, briefs get the job done, but it can get cramped in there. Typically, comprising elastane and cotton, the leg and slim bands, offers stability but can lose their shape easily.
Advantages and Disadvantages Of Boxers and Briefs
Let’s get to the debate here, both boxers and briefs have their fair share of pros and cons. And it’s certainly interesting to list them off in our consideration:
- Briefs offer a lot of supports, and the elastic keeps your genitals in place whilst ensuring room temperature. However, with constant washing the size could drop and lead to later duress.
- They offer stability by ensuring you can perform in athletic events; their snug fit ensures that you’re not encumbered by inadvertent movements. However, persistent washing can diminish the elastic and nullify this advantage.
- Their stiff fitting can cause duress, especially during hours of leisure. It can be difficult to sprawl out on your sofa with the lack of space down there.
- Boxers have always been exalted for providing supreme comfort and ease of movement. They offer your genitals ample amounts of space and room to breathe. But there’s a caveat, all of that space makes boxers a liability when engaging in physical activity. It is difficult to indulge in work-outs or athletic events with boxers, as there’s next to no support which leaves your genitals moving haywire.
- Owing to the massive amounts of comfort, boxers facilitate a healthy increase in sperm count. Boxers keep things cool down there, which is extremely helpful in ensuring and ideal sperm count.
- Despite all of that room, boxers aren’t usually seen as aesthetically pleasing. A lot of men refrain from choosing boxers when going out because of their loose-fitting nature.
Boxers Vs Briefs: which one’s a better fit?
Let’s get down to the wire, which one are you going for? Boxers or Briefs? Both have pertinent pros and cons in their corner, but which one’s better?
Boxers have always been a means for comfort while briefs’ firm disposition aids in physical exertion. What might tip the scales in boxers’ favour is the increased sperm count! A recent study conducted by Harvard found that men who wear loose-fitting underwear, such as boxers or boxer briefs, had a 25% increase in sperm count. Researchers and studies opine that wearing tight underwear such as a brief leads to an increase in temperature, which is detrimental to sperm production. The rise in heat prevents sperm from growing and developing. However, it was also cited that the damage can be undone by switching between briefs and boxers.
On a side note, an interesting phenomenon seen is that men sometimes prefer to wear briefs under their boxers. This stems from the support and stability provided by briefs. However, the implications of this method are yet to be assessed.
So, should you wear boxers or briefs? Simple, it depends on the situation. Boxers and briefs are suited for different occasions with comfort, leisure, support and stability dictating your decisions. It all boils down to what you want to do, but we can break it down for you even further!
Opt for boxers if:
- If you’re chilling and just having a day off. With loose-fitting and plenty of room, boxers more than fit the bill.
- Recovering from an injury requires room to heal and breathe!
Opt for briefs if:
- If you’re looking for stability and support or just don’t prefer your genitals with too much room.
- When indulging in sports or going out.
- Want a tighter all-round fit.
There is nothing stopping you from switching between boxers and briefs, bearing in mind, there’s a caveat to every situation. So either go for your preferences or be mindful of your surroundings!